Mistake #19 — Referring Basic Procedures to Specialists
I will not refuse to do something that I can do.
— Edward Everett
Almost every startup urgent care center struggles for adequate revenue. Nevertheless, many urgent care centers literally send thousands of dollars out the door to specialists, who render nothing more than supportive care. No matter what their training, most doctors in the urgent care center can learn to care for simple lacerations, fractures and perform other minor procedures. Many of these procedures are simple to perform and carry a low morbidity. The National Convention of the Urgent Care Center Association of America offers a full day Urgent Care Procedure Workshop that will benefit any urgent care physician.
Procedures that you can easily perform in your new urgent care center include:
- Laceration repairs
- Simple fracture care (including finger tuft fractures, radius buckle fractures, ankle avulsion fractures, and others)
- Abscess incision and drainage
- Joint aspirations and injections
- Ganglion cyst aspirations and injections
- Thrombosed hemorrhoid excision
DVDs demonstrating many of these procedures can be obtained online from Urgent Care Consultants.